GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
BOARD OF ETHICS AND GOVERNMENT ACCOUNTABILITY
Office of Government Ethics
Brian K. Flowers, Interim Director
Ashley D. Cooks, Attorney August 2017
The BEGA Newsletter
Volume 4 - Issue 8
Message from the Director ―
As most of you know, this is a time of transition for BEGA. Last month, we said goodbye to our founding Board Chairperson and Director. Be reassured that the transition to new leadership has been seamless and our commitment to ensuring that District employees maintain the highest level of ethical conduct remains steadfast. BEGA will continue to investigate alleged ethics laws violations by District government employees and public officials, provide binding ethics advice, and conduct mandatory training on the DC government’s Code of Conduct without interruption.
We are in the process of revising our training material and welcome any comments or suggestions on how to improve the product. Don’t hesitate to let us know any other way that we can be of assistance.
-Brian K. Flowers
BEGA Happenings ―
- Follow us on Twitter @dcbega
- BEGA’s Ethics Day 2017 will be held on October 19th! Schedule of courses coming soon.
Upcoming Events ―
- August 26th, 11:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m. – Boards and Commissions Training - Wilson Building,1st floor
Ethics in the News ―
- Bribes Paid to State Worker May be Key to $1 Million Dollar Medicare Fraud Read More
- Virginia State Bar Files Ethics Complaint Against Former- State Official Read More
- Alabama Secretary of State Referred Campaign Finance Concerns to Ethics Commission Read More
- House Ethics Committee Drops Ethics Investigations Against Government Officials Read More
- Former-Mayor and Candidate for Governor Sues Over Law that Prevents Ex-Felons from Receiving Millions in Campaign Grants Read More
Good to Know ―
Hatch Act – District employees are permitted to host “Meet & Greet” events (usually a gathering of neighbors at a private home) for District candidates, but are prohibited from fundraising for them. Make sure your “Meet & Greet” event does not turn into a fundraiser. Check with BEGA before you agree to host such an event.
Former-Employee agrees to a Negotiated Disposition to pay a $4500.00 fine for violating the District’s restriction on the misuse of government property. View Details
Advisory Opinions ―
BEGA issues Advisory Opinion Clarification to Former-Councilmember. View Details